Friday, October 17, 2008

....Just wonderin....

Again, I will be delaying my conversion story, however I was thinking about another crucial issue that the American and to a lesser extent the Canadian media has not picked up on. Now it goes without saying that everyone is swept up with Barrack Obama, the democratic candidate for president of the US, but I honestly believe that we are forgetting a few details,...shall we say. Before I begin, I would like to point out that I was against the US-led invasion of Iraq. As a Canadian, we cannot afford not to follow International Law because we are too small. I do however, strongly support the mission in Afghanistan, the bitter fruit of 9/11.

The last few weeks we were inundated with coverage regarding the possible financial collapse of the market. Pundits everywhere are talking about a potential recession and putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of George W Bush. Is that really fair? The collapse of the market is being attributed to the mortgage crisis which has hit the US. Was it not Bill Clinton, who in 1996 deregulated the banks to pave the way for a plethora of lending institutions? Did he not make easy for an economically disadvantaged person to purchase a house they couldn't afford? Remember the negatively amortized mortgage ads polluting Yahoo and Google? Hmmm, is this really the fault of the Republicans, or did the Democrats push this snowball down the hill?...I'm just sayin...

No comments: